Melbourne's best bottle-os

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Melbourne's best bottle-os

Postby rwh » Monday Jun 23, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi all,

My housemate has decided to take me beer shopping for a birthday present. Anyone got a favorite bottle-o to recommend around central Melbourne? The one on Ackland Street in St. Kilda is good, but it mostly focusses on imported beers, and I prefer supporting domestic breweries if at all possible (food miles and all of that). Do I remember rightly that there's a good one down on Clarendon St somewhere?

Thanks,

Rob
w00t!
rwh

Re: Melbourne's best bottle-os

Postby timmy » Monday Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Rob,

Check out the beer place at the Vic Market. I can't remember the name, but they're inside with all the deli's and stuff. They have loads of local micro's there.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Tim... » Monday Jun 23, 2008 4:53 pm

rwh wrote:Hi all,

My housemate has decided to take me beer shopping for a birthday present. Anyone got a favorite bottle-o to recommend around central Melbourne? The one on Ackland Street in St. Kilda is good, but it mostly focusses on imported beers, and I prefer supporting domestic breweries if at all possible (food miles and all of that). Do I remember rightly that there's a good one down on Clarendon St somewhere?

Thanks,

Rob

Cloudwine is the one your thinking of. Best bottle shop in Melbourne that I know of. Great local beer range, and great imported beer range, without the high prices you have to pay at Ackland Cellars. Heres a beer blog from cloudwine, complete with price lists and latest releases. http://slowbeer.blogspot.com/
There is one in South Melbourne, Brighton and Camberwell.

Tim (the other one :lol: )
Tim...

Postby rwh » Monday Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Great, that's the one I was thinking of. Will definitely check it out! :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby Tim... » Monday Jun 23, 2008 8:48 pm

rwh wrote:Great, that's the one I was thinking of. Will definitely check it out! :)

Check out the range of beers from Meantime while your there. Great beers! I've tried the coffee porter and the IPA, and they were both excellent!

Tim
Tim...

Postby chadjaja » Monday Jun 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I went to cloudwine at the weekend and their range of particular Australian beers was a LOT poorer than in the past. Wasn't worth the walk from swords. Swords at the South Melbourne market 2 blocks away blew them away clearly and they are also at the Vic Market in the city. Makes it harder as you need market days to go to swords there though. Tues, Thurs-Sun by memory.
chadjaja

Postby earle » Tuesday Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm

The Dan Murphy's in QV also seemed to have a good range of local and imported beers. Remember to check the dates, when I was in cloudland quite a few of the imports were past their 'best'.
earle

Postby Danis » Tuesday Jun 24, 2008 4:00 pm

I'd also mention Purvis in Surrey Hills, if you can get there. It has a good range of imports and Aussie Micros.

Tim... wrote:Check out the range of beers from Meantime while your there. Great beers! I've tried the coffee porter and the IPA, and they were both excellent!

I've had the Meantime chocolate stout and porter, and both were lovely. Cool name too, being brewed in Greenwich and all.
Danis

Postby Stew41 » Saturday Aug 16, 2008 9:58 pm

earle wrote:The Dan Murphy's in QV also seemed to have a good range of local and imported beers. Remember to check the dates, when I was in cloudland quite a few of the imports were past their 'best'.

Earle,

I own Cloudwine. I find your inference that we sell out out date beer to be insulting, particularly as it is complete bu#%$shR. If you have proof I'd be happy to see it otherwise I suggest you remove your comment. We take great pride in the way we present and lookafter the beer we sell and your comment is totally unfounded.

Stewart
Stew41

Postby timmy » Sunday Aug 17, 2008 8:54 am

Stewart,

Slightly OT, but do you guys have the new Holgate Extreme range? I tried emailing Holgate but they never responded (strange given the effort they put into the launch....)

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Stew41 » Sunday Aug 17, 2008 1:45 pm

timmy wrote:Stewart,

Slightly OT, but do you guys have the new Holgate Extreme range? I tried emailing Holgate but they never responded (strange given the effort they put into the launch....)

Cheers,

Tim

Hey Tim,

Just got them in last week....not sure of the prices but the guys would have priced them in the stores. Should range b/w $4.00 and $5.00 per bottle.

cheers
Stew41

Return to The beer you buy