Is any bottle of beer worth 25 bucks

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Is any bottle of beer worth 25 bucks

Postby Biernut » Saturday Jun 28, 2008 7:18 am

For those on the mainland who didn't catch the news on this little gem, Morrilla Moo Brew in Tassie have made a batch of beer six hundred odd bottles all up of their Imperial Stout and are marketing it at 25 dollars a bottle. Now this might pander to the yuppies with more money than drinking sense but "really" is any beer worth that sort of money. For my money I could buy a bottle of Guinness ( made here in australia of course ) and a dozen oysters for less. This has the smell of a marketing ploy dreamed up by some amateur spin doctor to get the media to generate some free advertising. Clever, maybe but for me I will just stick to being a simple HB'er. While on the subject of Moo Brew and no malice intended I have tried their Hefe Weizen and didn't rate it much at all. What do you guys out there think.

oops this was supposed to go under general discussion.
Biernut

Re: Is any bottle of beer worth 25 bucks

Postby timmy » Saturday Jun 28, 2008 4:18 pm

I quite like their Hefe but my K&K one is just as good IMO (if made with the proper yeast).

I can't see the problem with the price. Nobody would question a similar sized bottle of wine with that price.
timmy

Postby warra48 » Saturday Jun 28, 2008 5:38 pm

OK, we'll let the overpaid money market yuppies pay through the nose for a $25 bottle of beer.

NO, it isn't worth it, compared to what you can get for the same money, eg 5 or 6 bottles of Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, Paulaner Pikantus, 2 or 3 Coopers Vintage longnecks, etc etc,

It's the same with wine, Grange is not 10 times as good as a $50 bottle of anything else. Having said that, I do have Grange in my cellar, but only because I was given a case of it when I retired. I wouldn't pay for it, although I must say the best red I ever drank was a 1974 Grange from a mate's cellar on new year's day 2006.

I'll just keep enjoying my own brews at a fraction of the price, as I'm enjoying a 1999 Grant Burge merlot as I type. I had a few of my hb's and have a dunkelweizen on the boil at the moment. That will be chilled overnight and I'l pitch tomorrow, and I'll then brew an ESB. Yeah, my good wife is visiting the offspring in Sydney, so I need to do something to keep me company.
warra48

Postby PaulSteele » Saturday Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm

If they really think the beer is worth $25 a bottle, then why not?

I believe that you are only worth what you think you are.

I charge a fair bit more for my DJ services than many of my competitors, but I'm confident that I'm worth what I charge.

These are the perks of capitalism
PaulSteele

Postby gibbocore » Sunday Jun 29, 2008 3:54 pm

i bought a bottle of Deus for $50. Worth every cent i reckon.
gibbocore

Postby Biernut » Monday Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm

gibbocore wrote:i bought a bottle of Deus for $50. Worth every cent i reckon.

Geez, you must have a bigger bank account than mine. sniff sniff! :cry:
Biernut

Postby KEG » Monday Jun 30, 2008 11:21 pm

having now read up on Deus, i want a bottle. badly. next big occasion, i'm finding one. it sounds fantastic.
KEG

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 9:47 am

Deus! Sounds like the perfect gift for a friend of mine too. Beerstore.com has it for $65 though. At least you get a 750ml bottle not a stubbie like the moo brew.

Hunter beer is another premium beer selling for $25 a bottle. Again 750ml magnum bottles but i've looked EVERYWHERE here in Vic for some of the chocolate porter and Boc but can't find it. AND Hunter don't even answer their emails.

Anyone tried the Murrays limited longies?? Grand cru isn't it? I saw a bottle of it at Cloudwine the other weekend for $17 by memory.

I'd rather drink quality over quantity any time :D
chadjaja

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

I bought it for my brother as a gift. Knowing full well that i'll get a glass 8)

The whole process sounds pretty cool. Belgian brewed thebn off to france for french champagne treatment.

try 'cellarbrations', thats where i got mine from.
gibbocore

Postby James L » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm

For anyone in Perth, i know you can get Deus at Cambrigdge Cellars on the corner of Harborne st and Cambridge St, and i know that IBS has it too... i think at both places they were around the 50 dollar mark... no glass though...

I also know you can get a 2L (maybe larger) magnum of Chimay Blue at IBS for 50 bucks too....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Jul 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Beer, like anything, is worth whatever someone will pay for it :|
Tipsy

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Jul 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Bizier

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jul 02, 2008 7:25 pm

This made me piss my pants with laughter :lol:

From the above article

"Crown drinkers and premium beer drinkers who like to discover new beers and wines will be very interested ...

And they also say its Australia's first premium beer
Australia's first "luxury beer"
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course Fosters says this. They say Crown lager is Australia's best on the bottle don't they?? :roll:

Don't people even know about our flourishing micro industry and the occasional high end brew they put out occasionally too? Ofcourse its not as overpriced as this CUB swill though.
chadjaja

Postby gibbocore » Thursday Jul 03, 2008 12:05 pm

chadjaja wrote:This made me piss my pants with laughter :lol:

From the above article

"Crown drinkers and premium beer drinkers who like to discover new beers and wines will be very interested ...

my brother and i had a good chuckle about this too, oxymoron anyone? Or just moron.
gibbocore

Postby Boonie » Thursday Jul 03, 2008 12:29 pm

gibbocore wrote:
chadjaja wrote:This made me piss my pants with laughter :lol:

From the above article

my brother and i had a good chuckle about this too, oxymoron anyone? Or just moron.

Homer Simpson says it best......."A little bit from Column A and a little bit from Column B"
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Biernut » Friday Jul 04, 2008 8:32 am

Bizier wrote:http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23892562-5010800,00.html

Yeah well I guess you could put a 10 cent tin whistle in a fancy box and put it on the market for a 100 bucks and someone would buy it. Maybe because an individual who pays big money for a bottle of beer or wine has to kid themselves they enjoy it, even if they don't.
Biernut

Postby Boonie » Sunday Jul 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Slightly OT...but they did a blind test of expensive wines....$50 a bottle compared to $10-15 bottles and the cheap wines actually had a high ratio (cannot remember numbers) of what wine was better/more expensive one.......

Beer is different IMHO...ie Tooheys Vs Coopers Vintage.....however, I purchased some overseas beers recently and the Cheapest was better than Knappstein (Oz) and Weistenstapher (spelling?)....go figure, but this was my opinion/taste.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Jul 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Boonie wrote:Slightly OT...but they did a blind test of expensive wines....$50 a bottle compared to $10-15 bottles and the cheap wines actually had a high ratio (cannot remember numbers) of what wine was better/more expensive one.......

Beer is different IMHO...ie Tooheys Vs Coopers Vintage.....however, I purchased some overseas beers recently and the Cheapest was better than Knappstein (Oz) and Weistenstapher (spelling?)....go figure, but this was my opinion/taste.

Cheers

Boonie

Was that wine tasting done by experts or by laypeople? Because if you did a blind test between Tooheys New and Coopers Vintage with laypeople the Tooheys New would come out the winner.

To go even more off topic, love the picture of Vyvyan from Young Ones, one of my favourite shows.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby homebrewer79 » Monday Jul 07, 2008 8:24 am

You think I'm an aeroplane don't you Mike, well I'm not :lol: :lol:
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby Boonie » Monday Jul 07, 2008 7:33 pm

homebrewer79 wrote:You think I'm an aeroplane don't you Mike, well I'm not :lol: :lol:
:lol: That's Rick saying that to Mike, I remember it well.

Waaaaaaaaay OT now, but I liked it in "Sick" when Vyv was giving Neil Acupuncture and ran out of Needles, so he was using Six Inch Nails into his head.

Vyv: Neil, you may feel a little prick
Neil: So what's new?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I'll get the DVD out now and watch one. Oh and I actually memorised the entire last show "Summer Holiday"....a wasted youth. :lol:

OK Back OTish

Iron-Haggis wrote: Was that wine tasting done by experts or by laypeople? Because if you did a blind test between Tooheys New and Coopers Vintage with laypeople the Tooheys New would come out the winner.

To go even more off topic, love the picture of Vyvyan from Young Ones, one of my favourite shows.

Very good point that I overlooked, Iron-Haggis....and yep Vyv and that show is legendary.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Next

Return to The beer you buy