Boags Honey Porter

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Boags Honey Porter

Postby Conrad » Thursday May 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Have managed to find a place selling the new batch of Boags Honey Porter (Duncans in Mentone) and was wondering is it worth spending the hard earned on a 6 pack (or more)!?!?

What are peoples thoughts on this brew and how would it compare to say the James Squire Porter (which I really enjoy).

Cheers,

Conrad
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!
Conrad

Postby Beer Krout » Thursday May 26, 2005 3:25 pm

Google hasn't been my friend here and neither is the Boags web site.

Anybody know of other places in Melbourne that are selling it.
Beer Krout

Postby gregb » Thursday May 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Conrad,

Going on the previous batch, I would say grab a six pack.

I'll have to do a bottlo run myself if there is a new batch on the market, thanks for the heads up.

Greg.
gregb

Postby db » Thursday May 26, 2005 3:41 pm

gregb - chinatown cellars is the only place i've seen it

i got a 6er on monday. totally different to js porter.. sweeter.. lighter in colour. & tastes very boagsy.. maybe the yeast?. i didn't really enjoy it as much as i thought i would. but its ok
db

Postby Oliver » Friday May 27, 2005 12:17 am

I tasted it many beers ago, but I seem to recall it being a bit flimsy, if that's a word one can use to describe a beer.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

boags honey porter

Postby triumph » Saturday May 28, 2005 10:11 pm

I was glad to see this topic on the forum, as i have just purchased a slab only this very afternoon! I bought a 6 pack after work last saturday. This was despatched fairly quickly, but was good enough to warrant the $58 purchase of a slab at Dan Murphys in Forest Hill. It is a bit sweet to be a session beer, but as an after dinner beer, or simply one to savour, it is lovely. Needs to be drunk from a proper glass to allow the hop aroma to come through. Am I alone on this one?
triumph

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Saturday May 28, 2005 10:12 pm

I think this batch is a lot less attenuated than 2003, or the Van Dieman hops are lower Alpha Acid or both. It is not a bad beer, much sweeter than a JS Porter. The Boags I think is a brown porter as opposed to the JS which is being Robust. Tooheys Old is squarely in between.

I admire breweries trying styles like this and would like to see more from other breweries, in fact from all. Even yours. Porter can be a very interesting style in this season...
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Beer Krout » Friday Jun 03, 2005 10:37 am

Found it at the Forest Hill Dan Murphies (thanks Triumph)
Near the checkout in the promotions area.
Bought a six pack for $16-17.

Tried one last night.
Ruby Red Brown. Certainly not as dark as the James Squire Porter.
I has a smooth honey malty start, then the special “Van Diemen” hops bitterness kicks in.
Never heard of these hops before. They are pretty harsh bittering, maybe more so than Pride Of Ringwood.
It seemed an odd combination at the start of the beer. Was getting used to it by the end.

Interesting beer non-the-less. Not like anything I’ve tasted before.
Beer Krout

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Jun 03, 2005 10:46 am

Hey

Sorry for this dumb question but, what does a bottle of Coopers Sparkling go for over there?

Ta

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Friday Jun 03, 2005 11:29 am

Generally other bottles of Coopers Sparkling Ale, but cross breeding has been known.

If you fail to attract one, you can always buy em. About $15 a six pack in a bottlo or a bit over $4 each in a pub (Sydney prices). I believe they give them to you free in Adelaide.

Oh, and I think Mr Bakshi was refering to hops grown in Tassie. Not any particular variety.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Beer Krout » Friday Jun 03, 2005 12:41 pm

Dogger.
The Coopers Sparkling is quite inexpensive for a premium beer. About $15 per 6-pack. Which isn't bad considering its 5.8%. Higher the alcohol %, higher the tax included.
http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/products.asp?product_id=364

Evo.
On the bottle of the BHP and on the original web site press release. They state
... new Tasmanian Van Diemen hop variety... combined with the first ever use of the Van Diemen hop grown at Gunns Plains in Tasmania by Australian Hop Marketers

http://www.boags.com.au/Files/00229_BoagsHoneyPorter.asp?flash=true&
Beer Krout

Postby Evo » Friday Jun 03, 2005 1:32 pm

Well I'll be. I thought it was Hrundi speak. It can only be a good thing that Australia be known for something other than POR hops.

And that sucks @ss about the higher tax on higher alcohol beers. I remember when Carlton Draught dropped their alcohol content for that very reason. I think that's when I stopped drinking it out of principle.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Friday Jun 03, 2005 9:54 pm

Evo wrote:Well I'll be. I thought it was Hrundi speak. It can only be a good thing that Australia be known for something other than POR hops.

The Van Dieman Hop is being at least a cultivar of POR I am understanding. I don't think it holds a candle to either European or North American hops, but I have only ever been tasting it in the Boag's Honey Porter.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Wimmig » Saturday Jun 04, 2005 1:41 pm

Beer Krout wrote:Found it at the Forest Hill Dan Murphies (thanks Triumph)
Near the checkout in the promotions area.
Bought a six pack for $16-17.

Tried one last night.
Ruby Red Brown. Certainly not as dark as the James Squire Porter.
I has a smooth honey malty start, then the special “Van Diemen” hops bitterness kicks in.
Never heard of these hops before. They are pretty harsh bittering, maybe more so than Pride Of Ringwood.
It seemed an odd combination at the start of the beer. Was getting used to it by the end.

Interesting beer non-the-less. Not like anything I’ve tasted before.

The hops are far to bitter in my world, much more so than POR's. The leatherwood honey is not helping either and it's harsh human manufactor shows right through.

Anyway glad we only got in a couple of cases to move on, by the time people buy it because it's "limited edition" it will be gone.
Wimmig

Postby gregb » Saturday Jun 04, 2005 4:12 pm

My local Dan Murphy's has sold out already.

I didn't think it was as good as the last lot.

I did note though that its best before date was 12 months hence. Most other commercial offerings are usually 6 or even 3 months. My impression was that it is a bit young. The previous edition I cellared for 6 months and it was became something quite good.

And by the way a Coopers Classic Olde Dark Ale makes a great base kit to start from for any porters you may want to attempt.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby triumph » Saturday Jun 04, 2005 9:51 pm

Interesting point with the ageing gregb. will be doing this as the beer is so bloody rich, and anyway need to save some for a mate coming out from Canada in December. It may build some complexity by then. Will be a good excuse to hang on to some anyway!
triumph

Postby stevem » Saturday Jun 04, 2005 10:41 pm

Tried one tonight. Was impressed. Have classified it in the "will definetly drink it again" category.
stevem

Postby Anzac Cookies » Monday Sep 11, 2006 6:44 pm

As i understand it Van Diemen Hops = Tasmanian Hallertau Hops
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby MrDave » Monday Sep 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Not too bad at all, but not anything near what I expected.
The colour's beautiful. Nose is pretty earthy. Quite well balanced.
Works well with chocolate :)
"Ask most people to name a Mexican beer and they'll name Corona. Coincidentally, if you ask most people to name a bodily fluid, they'll name urine."
- John Carroll explaining why Dos Equis > Corona.
MrDave

Postby damonpeyo » Sunday Sep 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Haven't tired them, they in every single bottlo here.
damonpeyo

Next

Return to The beer you buy