Baron's Beer..anyone tried them?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Baron's Beer..anyone tried them?

Postby svyturys » Friday Jan 23, 2009 12:21 pm

A Dan's ad in the paper today makes a big point of "Barons Native Black wattle Original Ale"
The banner above screams out, "Best beer in the World! Most popular beer - 2008. J D Weatherspoon International beer festival"
For all I know J D weatherspoon might be a bloke who got together with some mates in St. Kilda and had a backyard beer tasting.
So, has anyone tried this drop?
It also comes in a Pale Ale and a Lager.
Cheers
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Re: Baron's Beer..anyone tried them?

Postby Bizier » Friday Jan 23, 2009 1:15 pm

I personally dislike the wattle beer, it is simply too sweet for my taste buds.

Pale ale is OK, and so is the lager, though not very adventurous.

I actually met one of the owners not long ago and asked him why I can't get the ESB anywhere, and he said it is just too bitter for most tastes. I would be supporting Barons much more than I do if I could get the ESB without hiking for it, I quite like it.
Bizier

Postby chadjaja » Friday Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm

The Mr's LOVES the pale ale and I love the ESB Al :mrgreen:

Its pretty well priced at Dan Murphys too and easier to find than it used to. I dont like the Lemon myrtle(too zesty) and haven't tried the black wattle as I already think I'd hate it.

I proudly wear my Barons t shirt around :D
chadjaja

Postby Lachy » Friday Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

I quite like the toasty rye characteristics of the black wattle ale, and their lemon myrtle wheat was such a hit with mates that I tried brewing one myself. Admittedly, I now prefer my version of the lemon myrtle wheat, but I guess that sort of thing happens with home brewing. 8)
Lachy

Postby Will » Saturday Jan 24, 2009 11:37 am

I don't mind the Black Wattle Ale but if you're not a fan of sweet beers then it might not be your thing.

The Pale Ale is one of my favourites though and it seems Barons are doing pretty well for themselves considering how new they are.

Here's a few links regarding the beer festival:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/news/?Su ... s-articles

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/promotio ... -festival/
Will

Postby Bizier » Sunday Jan 25, 2009 2:27 pm

I tasted the Lemon Myrtle Wit ages ago when it came out. I tried it at the fish market with oysters and disliked it, thought it tasted like a bar of Palmolive Gold.

I have tried it since on tap at the Lord Roberts in Darlinghurst, and I actually went back for a second and enjoyed both.
Bizier

Postby Throsby » Monday Jan 26, 2009 8:35 pm

I've had the Black Wattle a few times and enjoyed it, though I have been drinking it during very hot summer afternoon beer sessions. I don't think I would enjoy it during winter. Haven't tried the Lemon Myrtle - don't think it will be my cup of tea.

I read an article the other day about how the brewery started and I now really respect the men behind Barons. I'd love to throw in the job and take up brewing as a money-spinner but I think it will remain a pipe-dream for now.

What's this ESB and where can I get it? Dan Murphy's?
Throsby

Postby Will » Sunday Feb 08, 2009 12:17 am

I tried the Barons Lager and Lemon Myrtle Witbier today.

The Lager was the most disappointing, pretty generic tasting, not horrible though.

The witbier wasn't too bad, a but too much citrus for my tastes though. It's definitely worth a try but not a beer I would drink a lot of, unlike the pale ale.
Will

Return to The beer you buy