Trying new beers

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Trying new beers

Postby wrighty » Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Brought following to try.

Barvaria.
Furstenberg.
Maes.

Found the Bavarian not to bad for a mass produced premium beer and @ $35.00 slab .
Try others tonight,any one tried yet ?
Last edited by wrighty on Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Re: Trying new beers

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I actually like Bavaria, and get it as a regular cheapie. I got a case of Furstenburg once and was not impressed. I have tried Maes, but can't remember it.

I used to see a beer called Memminger Pils in liquorland stores, but I think the national chain dropped it, but I liked it because you could taste the malt. And it was as cheap as they come.

A good cheapie around here (little portugal Petersham) is the Sagres and Coral line up, they are malt focused, clean and cheap as chips ($5.20 for a litre bottle).

Tonight I am going to introduce my home-brewing neighbour a Shofferhofer, he just (or is just about to) put down an AG hefe and has never tried one. I am also drinking a Birrel from the supermarket. And I also had a sip of my Belgian Wit wort that I have wild-fermented on the counter, interesting stuff.
Bizier

Postby Iron-Haggis » Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Tried all 3 and unimpressed by all of them. They are all typical European mass produced lagers. Also wouldn't call them Premium either, but then again breweries can just call the beer premium and everyone will consider it so. Pure Blonde even has premium on it.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby wrighty » Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Furstenberg better than most aussie megaswill .
Maes is a belgian and not a real good one ,oh well just cant seem to stop buying
a new beer every time i pass the bottlo.
Waiting on my own brews to condition 60lt and building.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby Bizier » Thursday Feb 19, 2009 5:50 pm

I am drinking a Bernard Original (Czech Beer - no mention of Pilsner which I find nice).
3.8% abv Says floor malted Moravian malt from their own facilities.
$4 well spent.

Tastes a little past its prime, which is not a surprise. I get an awesome seville marmalaide thing which is awesome. Another reason to visit the Czech Republic to get it fresh.
Bizier

Return to The beer you buy