Coopers 62

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Coopers 62

Postby Planner » Thursday Aug 27, 2009 10:05 am

Has anyone else seen or tried the new Coopers pilsner labelled "62".
I called into 1st choice one the way home last night to pick up a traveller, and as I was at the register there was an open fronted display fridge full of it. I grabbed one and opened it once back at the car. Should have waited till I got home and chilled it, only the glass was cold and beer warm (should have guessed when I took first bottle from the fridge.)
Anyway I thought it lacked any real flavour when drank warm, but I will call back tonight and collect a 6 pack for a proper test.
Coopers website is silent on its existence, seems a strange beer for Coopers, tall 335ml stubby, decorative glass and minimal labelling. Other than the Coopers lid (black) one could easily miss it as a Coopers.
Will report back later with more informed taste test.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Re: Coopers 62

Postby Planner » Thursday Aug 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Hadn't thought to look elsewhere other than Coopers site. Not even the "news" section of their main site mentions it.
Being a Victorian I don't see any Coopers advertising, is it being marketed in S.A. or are we being left to stumble onto it at the bottlo?

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Aug 27, 2009 1:19 pm

I've not heard of it, nor seen anything until it popped up on AHB.

I will try and grab a bottle on my way home to see what all the hype is about. I'd report back with my subtle critique but the last time i reviewed a beer i got banned from an island.......
drsmurto

Postby timmy » Saturday Aug 29, 2009 4:49 pm

I had some last week while on holidays in the Blue Mountains.

I thought it was quite nice - although I'm not much of a pilsner drinker so I don't really have much to compare it too.

An interesting thing I noticed is that isn't bottle conditioned - first Coopers brew I'm aware of that isn't.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby drsmurto » Monday Aug 31, 2009 10:47 am

Coopers lager isnt, nor is the light beer.

Only their ales are bottle conditioned.
drsmurto

Postby Throsby » Wednesday Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

I had a look for it at Dan Murphy's (up Maitland way) last weekend but it was nowhere to be seen.

I'll certainly give it a go. I've never been disappointed with a single element of the Coopers operation.
Throsby

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am

Coopers Birell?

The only Coopers 'beer' i cant drink.
drsmurto

Postby Will » Saturday Sep 05, 2009 10:24 pm

I went to my local Dan's and couldn't find any so I made the trip out to Nectar and they didn't appear to have any either. I asked the guy at the counter and he said they didn't have any retail stock but he had a few sample bottles for the staff out back. He wasn't very impressed with it and so he decided to give me a bottle for free :D

It was a nice brew (very Coopers-ish) but I was sort of disappointed as far as pilsners go. Seemed a little lacking and I wouldn't rate it over the matilda bay or james squire pilsners. To this day I've yet to drink one that I would rate over the Urquell.
Will

Postby newers » Wednesday Sep 09, 2009 5:59 pm

After reading this thread last week, I was in a Coles Liquorland of all places and saw a 6-pack of the Coopers 62 so I grabbed it.

Found it quite light in flavour, but still very pleasant and easy to drink. Had the distinct Saaz flavour any good pilsner should but it is perhaps not as pronounced as some may like. All in all I really enjoyed the 62 and would buy it again for sure. Coopers Pale Ale is my go to commercial beer so I may be a little bias but this was a great alternative style for Coopers and much better than the Coopers Lager.
newers

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Overall, I found this an OK beer. It's not unpleasant to drink, but I was expecting more of a Pilsner Urquell-style pilsner. A bit more bitterness would have been nice, and perhaps a bit more body.

Putting aside what I was expecting and what it actually is, I'd probably buy it again, but for less money and bigger bottles (375ml v 355ml) you can have Coopers Lager, which I don't think tastes a whole lot different.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby drsmurto » Monday Sep 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Oliver wrote:Overall, I found this an OK beer. It's not unpleasant to drink, but I was expecting more of a Pilsner Urquell-style pilsner. A bit more bitterness would have been nice, and perhaps a bit more body.

Putting aside what I was expecting and what it actually is, I'd probably buy it again, but for less money and bigger bottles (375ml v 355ml) you can have Coopers Lager, which I don't think tastes a whole lot different.

Cheers,

Oliver

Still to taste Cooper 62 but following on from this comment by Oliver - Coppers lager is IMO one of Australia's best lagers. Unlike most Aussie lagers, Coopers Lager has a definite hop flavour, malt body and contains no sugar.

Streets ahead of those over priced 'premium' Aussie lagers - crown, boags premium etc etc
drsmurto

Postby newers » Friday Sep 25, 2009 4:10 pm

It seems my mention of Coopers Lager has brought forth a couple of comments, so I thought I should clarify! I too would rate Coopers Lager FAR above any other Aussie lager available... by such a long streak it's not comparable! I guess I just find the 62 has that little bit of a different edge, which is why I rated it above the lager.

Both great beers - drink up :D
newers

Postby steve_n » Saturday Oct 10, 2009 12:52 pm

picked up a slab of coopers lager last night and they've changed the packaging, which looks great. however, the beer tastes different and i don't like it so much. on further inspection, i saw the beer's alcohol content has dropped from 5% to 4.8%, so i'm assuming the recipe has been altered. does anyone know why they've changed it?
beer never tells me it's not in the mood.
-----------------------------------------------
PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: autumn ale
BOTTLED: honey wheat ale, first lager
steve_n

Postby kelbow » Friday Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm

picked up a sixer last night; have been quite curious as to what this would be like.

overall, disappointed. goes down fine, very clean lines; reminded me very much of Boags, somehow. but I somehow thought Coopers would put out something a little more refined, a little edgier, certainly something all-malt, which i doubt very much this is.

Urquell .... now that's a pilsner.

oh well, back to the homebrew ... :roll: :D
kelbow

Postby Bizier » Saturday Oct 31, 2009 4:42 pm

I thought it was terrible, like a stronger Budweiser with more of what I perceive as acetaldehyde.

My girlfriend had a sip and thought I was drinking bad cider.

I assume that this is part of a portfolio aimed squarely at US markets.
Bizier

Postby kelbow » Saturday Oct 31, 2009 6:51 pm

further to my blurb about this yesterday ...

I am doing a side-by-side test here ... Coopers 62 versus ... XXX GOLD (okay, it's a long story)!!!

and I ... cannot tell the difference.

:oops: :o :o :o

Gold has a little more grain (or its own weird version of it). the 62 might have a little more hop back-bite.

but seriously ... jayzuzz etc. I should have known, looking at the over-designed glassware, that the marketing division had outvoted the brewing division on this one. Coopers 62 deserved to go down in Australian brewing history as a bad mistake. hopefully someone from coopers is reading this site (i'm sure they do ... keep up the great work with the ALES). :wink:
kelbow

Postby Zuma » Wednesday Nov 04, 2009 8:26 am

Ordinary at best.
Don't re-invent the wheel, change the tyre..
Zuma

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Nov 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Just been away from home for a break for a few days, so no access to HB.

Just couldn't bring myself to buy and try the Coopers 62.

Bought Coopers Pale Ale instead, and very much enjoyed the clean malty slightly fruity flavour (didn't stir up the yeast). It's missing any overt hop aroma, but it's way better than most Aus lagers of any desciption.
And the bonus is I get to keep the longnecks, which are by far the best available in Aus for us homebrewers.
warra48

Postby bottlebomber » Friday Dec 04, 2009 11:51 am

Bizier and I must share a brain. He summed up this horrible swill perfectly, comparing the stuff to Budweiser, the most tasteless beer ever brewed, and to cider. These very thoughts entered my mind when I tried my first (and last) sample stubbie of '62' just the other day.
As a longstanding fan of Cooper's Sparkling, I expected this to be of equal quality but, of course, with typical Pilsner characteristics. If 'easy-drinking' is ones only priority for enjoying a beer, I guess this fits the bill -- it's wet, and if chilled, goes down easily enough without one having to expend too much effort considering its absence of aroma and flavour. I was totally disappointed with this latest Cooper's offering. Had I already tried their lager, considering what others have commented about that, I guess I would have been forewarned. I used to think that Toohey's New typified the worst of Aussie beers but now I consider that that criticism is well deserved by Cooper's 62 "Pilsner".
-- Bottlebomber.
bottlebomber

Next

Return to The beer you buy