50 Best Beers

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

50 Best Beers

Postby feldon » Sunday Oct 18, 2009 6:12 pm

FYI

The London Independant newspaper has a review of what it claims is the 50 best (commercial) beers.

Its online at http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/ind ... tion=Popup

Interesting the comments from readers below each review.
feldon

Re: 50 Best Beers

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 8:23 am

Just dragging up an old thread, sorry.

Looking through these beers got me thinking about the English-style beers on offer in Australia.

It seems that most of the new ales being brewed here have an American influence, in the use of US hops (think LCPA and a host of imitations).

Are there many Australian breweries brewing bitters, pale ales, etc, true to the English style?

I had a Hargreaves Hill ESB a couple of weeks back. It was one of the best beers I've had in a while, but is apparently brewed with "new world" hops, which is more than likely code for American hops. It wasn't particularly citrusy, however.

So, is it possible to find any beers brewed in Australia that are true to the English styles?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to get more of a sense of what these English-style beers are all about. However, I am reluctant to buy beer brewed in England that's spent months in a hot container on the journey over here, then more time in a warehouse somewhere before finally being put on a shelf in a bottleshop where it's remained for a further period of time, all the while deteriorating and in the end tasting nothing like it should.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Planner » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am

I'm no beer judge by any stretch, but recently bought a few Holgate ESB's which I really enjoyed.
Was it to style? who knows.
Was it tastey? definately.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby gregb » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Planner wrote:Was it to style? who knows.
Was it tastey? definately.
Was it to style? who knows cares.

Fixed that for you Planner. :) :wink:
gregb

Postby Planner » Tuesday Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am

gregb wrote:Fixed that for you Planner. :) :wink:

Thanks Gregb

Sampled a few more Holgate ESB's over the Christmas break, really getting a taste for them now. I can see a trip to Woodend coming up very soon. :D
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am

We were at Holgate just before Christmas. Great beers. Ordinary food and service.

We sent back a serve of fish that was overcooked to the point where the batter was dark brown and the fish dried out. When it came time to pay they hadn't removed it from the bill and said they wouldn't because the kitchen said there was nothing wrong with the dish and that we'd eaten most of it (which of course we hadn't due to its quality).

A stand-off ensued that was only resolved by the manager suggesting that we split the difference and I pay for half the meal :x

So, by all means go and drink their beer, but eat elsewhere!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Feb 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Coming to the party a bit late here, but Oliver, forget your worries about picking up imported English beer and get yourself as much of Shepherd Neame's Bishop's Finger (yes, it's actually called that) as can fit in your car. It's the only product in the world that is geographically protected to Kent and only uses ingredients from the Kent area. This is the beer that opened my eyes to the world of English Bitters and I've not looked back. I still do enjoy a good APA but now I have another house brew almost always on tap; my Shepherd's Finger rip-off.
bullfrog

Postby Oliver » Saturday Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks Bullfrog. I've heard of Bishop's Finger. Does Dan's stock it?

And care to share the recipe for your ripoff, if you haven't already?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I've not seen it in Dan's, Oliver, but I make sure I grab an armful from the 1st choice in Penrith whenever I'm over that way.

My "rip-off" isn't really much of a clone, just a brew that was inspired by Bishop's Finger. The final recipe became:

4.00kg Marris Otter
1.00kg Munich I
0.25kg Naked Oats
0.20kg Crystal
0.10kg Dextrine Malt (Carapils) [Shh, don't tell the Doc that I use Carapils in some of my recipes]

30g Fuggles @ 60 minutes
40g EKG @ 20 minutes

S-04 yeast fermented at 18C.

As you can see, it's not the lightest beer going. It's a nice, big ale - the way they should be - and I've not had a complaint yet.
bullfrog

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Feb 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Bullfrog. I've bookmarked this page and will get back to it when I start my BIAB adventures.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy