Hi, do you serve beer here?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: Hi, do you serve beer here?

Postby Sonny » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 8:44 pm

rotten wrote:Hello Sonny and others. My comment was in jest, I thought I was returning a welcome that I was privy to when I was warned about all grain.
Have fun with it, you sound like you will, and welcome once again.
Cheers

Mate, I know where ya comin' from. No dramas here. As mentioned before, I have noticed the camaraderie here and I want a piece of it. I'm all for takin' the piss, so feel free.
I'm not made of custard and I doubt many home brewers are.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Here's a silly question, but one I am unsure of. Actually two questions;

1. Wine bottle with screw tops; any good for home brew? The missus goes through heaps, its such a waste.
2. PET bottles, will I re-use the screw top lids or should I buy new ones?

oh and a third. When my mate gives me the 500ml home brew bottles on Sunday.
Is it proper etiquette to give him 2 or 4 bottles of my maturing brew as appreciation???
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Sonny wrote:I'm not made of custard and I doubt many home brewers are.

I can assure you from personal experience that many of us are. In fact, a great deal of us seem to have been born with a cherry on top of our heads.
Bum

Postby Planner » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Sonny wrote:1. Wine bottle with screw tops; any good for home brew? The missus goes through heaps, its such a waste.

My understanding is sparkling wine bottles are OK, although metal screw tops may not reseal forever (only guessing here)

Sonny wrote:2. PET bottles, will I re-use the screw top lids or should I buy new ones?

OK to reuse the PET caps, some of mine are about 10 brews old, threw out one because bottle was flat when opened, may or may not have been the fault of the lid, but they're cheap so didn't give it a second chance.

Sonny wrote:When my mate gives me the 500ml home brew bottles on Sunday.
Is it proper etiquette to give him 2 or 4 bottles of my maturing brew as appreciation???

Most mates will get their fair share anyway, but prob a good gesture.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Sonny wrote:1. Wine bottle with screw tops; any good for home brew? The missus goes through heaps, its such a waste.

I doubt those lids are good for pressure.

Sonny wrote:2. PET bottles, will I re-use the screw top lids or should I buy new ones?

Completely reusable but the lids are really cheap so don't wait for them to fail before your replace them.

Sonny wrote:When my mate gives me the 500ml home brew bottles on Sunday.

This is a beer economy.
Bum

Postby Sonny » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Bum wrote:
Sonny wrote:I'm not made of custard and I doubt many home brewers are.

I can assure you from personal experience that many of us are. In fact, a great deal of us seem to have been born with a cherry on top of our heads.

I like you Bum.

Thanks for those answers guys, I let those bottles go into the yellow bin, it just seems a waste.
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Friday Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm

So where is Oliver and Geoff?

Do they really exist? .............or are they just some dreamt up marketing ploy?

Are they the stuff legends are made of?
Sonny

Postby earle » Friday Sep 24, 2010 12:37 pm

They do make occassional appearances. A bit more busy these days I think than when they set up this site.
earle

Postby bullfrog » Friday Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm

PM sent, Sonny.
bullfrog

Postby Sonny » Friday Sep 24, 2010 7:51 pm

bullfrog wrote:PM sent, Sonny.

mmmm, done something wrong have I.

I sent one back pal.

hehehe :lol:
Sonny

Postby rotten » Friday Sep 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Sorry bum
Last edited by rotten on Sunday Sep 26, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Wasn't talking about you at all. Not anyone at this board. There are brewers beyond these walls. But then you've somehow included yourself by your own post just now. Funny that.

I'm on no pedestal. You've got your nose out of joint based on one comment. And one that was correct. Telling a new member they'll be brewing however you think is the right way when they declare they are happy with their process is wrong.

Anyway, I'm sure you see my point now, Sonny.
Bum

Postby rotten » Friday Sep 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Apologies again
Last edited by rotten on Sunday Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotten

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 24, 2010 10:33 pm

rotten wrote:Whether you like it or not

I don't understand this at all - you're cool with me.
Bum

Postby rotten » Friday Sep 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Geez, i was on a role
Last edited by rotten on Sunday Sep 26, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotten

Postby Bum » Saturday Sep 25, 2010 1:18 am

rotten wrote: I need to stay away for a while.

Eh, don't worry about that. If I'm reading a post of yours in another thread correctly you are going through a rough time at the moment (and are on the spirits). I'm sure we all understand shit days and being drunk.

My nose isn't out of joint and I hope, later on, you'll see my intention wasn't to displace yours either.

I do still think my point was worth making in the first place. Perhaps I could have explicitly stated the exact statements I though could do with a grain of salt rather than phrasing it so it might be read as some people should be ignored in general - had I thought it might be read that way I'd have rephrased for sure. Wording made sense to me at the time.

Uh...so, Sonny, I hear you like to make beer?
Bum

Postby Sonny » Saturday Sep 25, 2010 7:44 am

Right you two.

I can assure you I understood exactly what each of you were saying in each post. Sometimes though the typed word can be read wrongly, it can differ upon the mood of the moment to whether it's dark outside to when the sun rises.

I don't see anything here on these pages written to hurt or put someone down. You guys like to pull the piss a bit, even with some small truths. Get over it, from what I have read you both are mature adults who would by the sounds of it really enjoy a beer together.
Rotten: do not stay away too long. I'm the new kid on the block, if anyone goes it'll be me!

As for AG, well another member has invited me to look at his. So yeh it sounds like a conspiracy, yet I did buy the choc grain yesterday and I did read what happened to Rotten as he progressed.
Lets just say I am open minded into where my brewing is going.

So it's my thread and I just closed it. We can all go and party now.
Sonny

Postby rotten » Sunday Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Apologies to all, mods included. I was drunk and shouldn't have been online. Sonny, this is not normal, not for this site ayyway.
Need to stay away from Bundy, not here. What a d**k.
rotten

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Sonny wrote:So where is Oliver and Geoff?

Do they really exist? .............or are they just some dreamt up marketing ploy?

Are they the stuff legends are made of?

We're real. But as someone said, we're also pretty busy. When we set up this site it was really just to get our homebrew recipes up on the web. It's got a bit out of hand :D

Geoff's a barrister who commutes from the Surf Coast near Geelong to Melbourne for work and has a five-year-old. My work is much more full-on than when we started out with the website about 10 years ago. In the past three years I've been working on a project that's meant a hell of a lot of travel. That's just finished so things should settle down a little.

I guess you could say that we've had to grow up a bit and be responsible :D Sad really.

But we get on here when we can and I hope to spend a bit more time here from now on.

Also, just letting you know that Geoff and I will be getting together next month for some beer tastings, which we plan to Tweet! We'll also be tasting the 2010 Millennium Ale.

We also have some other beer tastings from earlier this year that we'll post shortly.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Sonny » Thursday Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks Oliver, well I am a bit of an expert at my kit brewing these days. No's 26 and 27 are currently either fermenting or racked. Another 5 empty fermenters laying about the garage and a whole lot of bottles conditioning against the wall.
Techniques are down pat, but the recipes are always improving.

Lessons: Will never use brown sugar or coffee again.

All-Grain brewing, well, it will happen. The interest for total control is definately there within me.
Hope everyones well. I've been here reading at times, keeping in check.
How are ya Wazza? Nice to see ya still hangin' in.
Speedie, get well brother.
Where's the Bullfrog?
Sonny

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion