Career opportunities

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Career opportunities

Postby PaulSteele » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 10:28 am

does anybody on here have any experience in working in the beer/alcohol production industries?

any advice on getting in on it?

I'm in the process of trying to find a good, full time job at the moment.

I really would like to work in a brewery, but I've been told that most breweries around here are very nepotistic regarding their hiring of staff.

I'd probably be willing to move anywhere in Australia if it meant a good job in a Micro-brewery.

18 years old, experience as a nightclub DJ, event manager, and sales.

or, does anybody know anything about TAFE/Uni courses in brewing?

apparently one of the TAFEs around adelaide has a small brewery system in it, but it isn't used?
PaulSteele

Re: Career opportunities

Postby SvenTheBererk » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 2:14 pm

I went to have a look at a micro brewery just outside colac recently....The guy was really nice but wasnt going to let me have a look and allready had his staff hand picked..i assume it would be the same in most micro's :|
Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."
SvenTheBererk

Postby Clean Brewer » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I recently just applied for a Job as Sales Executive for Lion Nathan and as per normal, if you dont have sales and marketing skills there is no chance.. Funny thing is they want someone with experience in the liquor/hospitality industry and a fast paced sales enviroment and I have worked in Hospitality Full time for 14 years and didnt even get a look in.. :x

I aslo applied a couple years ago for a Job as Sales executive for a Fine Food Company and knew there product well(im a chef and had used there products for 12 years) and a pre-requisite for the position was to be knowledgable about food. The girl that got the position had no Idea about food but had sales and marketing skills?? Confused me.. :?

Best bet is just apply for positions and see how you go..

Or, just write a pleading application and send off to the breweries, most of them realise that most people only want jobs like that in the hope of endless free beer so they are very picky..
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby PaulSteele » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 6:50 pm

yeah, I know the feeling mate.

nobody wants anybody unless they have a degree in something stupid.

which is why I'm interested in hearing about some of these Uni and TAFE courses.

It is my understanding that a lot of these courses are by correspondence, but I have no idea how that would work with brewing.
PaulSteele

Postby Clean Brewer » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Tafe is a load of crap.. Burnt out people in the real world teaching people that want these jobs.. :x

Yes, apparently TAFE is the ducks nuts for teaching, I beg to differ... But if it gives you a piece of paper that allows you to get a job you want, go for it, just be aware of what they teach, the best place to learn is in the workforce(the majority of time) :wink:

For me to apply for the police force, I need a 200hrs study in cert iv in something(preference is justice administration or social welfare etc, if you check out justice admin course its just basic computer skills etc), even with 14 years experiece as a chef at the top, cert 3 in commercial cookery doesn't count towards applying.. Yet there is a course to get a cert iv in cookery, which I have all the skills in that course, but would need to do that course to get cert iv. :?

Its like R.S.A(responsible service of alcohol), employers want you to do the course so you've got the certificate, but wont enforce it on intoxicated patrons?? And what about R.S.G(responsible service of gaming), what is that all about? Tell the customer that they have done enough gambling???? :roll:

If I was you, id just apply to the brewerys and see how you go, they will teach you and maybe send you to tafe if they need to, I wouldnt bother worrying to much about doing a course as I personally dont think it will help you to start.. :wink:

I teach my apprentice much more than she could possibly learn at tafe but she is still required to go to finish her apprenticeship... :?

Clean Brewer

Postby PaulSteele » Thursday Jun 19, 2008 4:10 pm

yes, i hate the education system too. a fat load of rubbish if you ask me.

but as you said, its hard to get into a lot of things without the certificates.
PaulSteele

Postby Biernut » Sunday Jun 29, 2008 7:04 am

Clean Brewer wrote:Tafe is a load of crap.. Burnt out people in the real world teaching people that want these jobs.. :x

Yes, apparently TAFE is the ducks nuts for teaching, I beg to differ... But if it gives you a piece of paper that allows you to get a job you want, go for it, just be aware of what they teach, the best place to learn is in the workforce(the majority of time) :wink:

For me to apply for the police force, I need a 200hrs study in cert iv in something(preference is justice administration or social welfare etc, if you check out justice admin course its just basic computer skills etc), even with 14 years experiece as a chef at the top, cert 3 in commercial cookery doesn't count towards applying.. Yet there is a course to get a cert iv in cookery, which I have all the skills in that course, but would need to do that course to get cert iv. :?

Its like R.S.A(responsible service of alcohol), employers want you to do the course so you've got the certificate, but wont enforce it on intoxicated patrons?? And what about R.S.G(responsible service of gaming), what is that all about? Tell the customer that they have done enough gambling???? :roll:

If I was you, id just apply to the brewerys and see how you go, they will teach you and maybe send you to tafe if they need to, I wouldnt bother worrying to much about doing a course as I personally dont think it will help you to start.. :wink:

I teach my apprentice much more than she could possibly learn at tafe but she is still required to go to finish her apprenticeship... :?

Now CB thats not exactly true. I slugged it out in TAFE back in the seventies that launched me into an electronic's career. Times were tough in those days money wise and there were times I asked myself what the hell am I doing here. But it all came right in the end. I wouldn't trade those days for a bottle of your best HB
Biernut

Postby Bizier » Sunday Jun 29, 2008 12:19 pm

mmm, I have a Bachelor in graphic design... basically I have some new angles to hit an argument with (primarily due to electives mind you), I have some fine friends, I am currently looking to change industries because I have the shits, and I have a sizeable debt that, in supreme irony, is now called help... ha!

I have seen friends make it big and quick by bypassing the systems and hitting the industry running. Basically you learn the new stuff parallel to anyone that would teach you, though having to first incorporate it into a curriculum. If you can do it - do it.

Anyone need a contract beer label designer? I am an artist in my early hops and barley period :)
Bizier

Postby Clean Brewer » Sunday Jun 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Biernut wrote:Now CB thats not exactly true. I slugged it out in TAFE back in the seventies that launched me into an electronic's career. Times were tough in those days money wise and there were times I asked myself what the hell am I doing here. But it all came right in the end. I wouldn't trade those days for a bottle of your best HB

I totally agree with you there, but the 70's are much different than this century, I went to college and it was only in the 90's for my apprenticeship and I learnt off some great old school chefs, all im saying is today is much different, alot of tradespeople teach at tafe as they get paid quite well, have weekends off, holidays off and at the end of the day dont really have that much responsibility, shit its all competency based these days.

Im very good at what I do and am considering going to tafe to do cert iv in Workplace assessment and training(pre requisite to become a tafe teacher) as the offer of working a 36.25 hr week with weekends off etc is much better than working every weekend, split shifts and about 60hrs a week for the same money.. :wink:

Clean Brewer

Postby Biernut » Saturday Jul 05, 2008 6:58 am

Yep point taken. Some teachers at TAFE shouldn't even be there. Ripping through modules at a hundred mile a hour leaving everyone looking like stunned mullets at the end of session with (" everybody get all that, don't see any blank faces out there") Yeah right! how would he know what a blank face looked like. We used to form up groups on weekends and meet at each other's places and catch up on anything not understood by pooling our limited knowledge resources. Some made it others didn't I was one of the lucky ones, but sh!t I put some work into it. I guess some teachers are in for the money and others are more dedicated and try harder. I saw both sides.
Biernut

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 10:27 am

http://www.microbrewing.com.au/noticebo ... -tafe.html

seen this today,

wonder if its being offered in NSW
RUM57L

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 01, 2010 12:27 am

Mate if you really want to become a certify brewer try Ballart unit, Perth ECU uni or the school of brewers and distillers institute or any one of a heap of other institutes
Without sounding bias just because you can count money doesn’t make you a bank manager!

Earl how is that for assimilation to ski boarding (only joking)
If you want a career in brewing go for it start out small muck out lauter tuns
Caustic wash down things

Put your best foot forward and get the job!
All the best speedie
:wink:
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 01, 2010 3:43 am

Well hot-dang, Billy-Joe; reckon Bobby might be on to something!!

Speedie, please take your hick, hillybilly sense of stating the f*cking obvious elsewhere. You're not being helpful (nor even contributing loosely when you post like this last comment) to our board, all you're doing is being a twat.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 01, 2010 2:58 pm

is this the same bullfrog that talked to me last week
i think that you should reavalue your posts and try to be little more positive
ps that microbrew web site is run by a very good friend of mine
speedie

Postby earle » Friday Oct 01, 2010 3:31 pm

speedie wrote:Mate if you really want to become a certify brewer try Ballart unit, Perth ECU uni or the school of brewers and distillers institute or any one of a heap of other institutes
Without sounding bias just because you can count money doesn’t make you a bank manager!
:

WTF is this even supposed to mean? Where has Rum said that he wants to become certified, its sound like he is keen to learn some more though? In that context are you saying that the TAFE brewing course is useless and the only training that a brewer should undertake is that which results in certification? Or are you judging the competency of the guy thats running the course. If thats not your intention it's certainly how you post reads.

ps I know a guy that runs a website too
earle

Postby Bum » Friday Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I run a website. I'm a cool dude.
Bum

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm

which web site would yours be bum?
mister cool!
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Oct 01, 2010 8:50 pm

http://www.supercooldudesofrad.com

I just admin a message board much like this one (except not brew related).
Bum

Postby chadjaja » Friday Oct 01, 2010 9:42 pm

pfft I could care less for qualifications.

When I start a brewery I'm giving the Dr a job, Alan is a tester and seeing Warra has all the time in the world he can clean everything LOL
chadjaja

Postby rotten » Friday Oct 01, 2010 11:21 pm

I second that motion, that makes me a Director I reckon.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Next

Return to General discussion