Couple of ideas on getting those much-needed bottles

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Couple of ideas on getting those much-needed bottles

Postby Danzar » Saturday Oct 21, 2006 11:25 am

Here's one: Hold a 'beer-a-thon'.

Email 20 friends and invite them over for a party.

For the beer drinkers, apply one condition - they must bring at least 6 empty longies with them as a 'buy-in'. In exchange, they can drink your beer.

You'll get the empties and they enjoy your brew. I got 60 that way (I gave them 4 weeks notice. Easy to drink 6 longies at home in 4 weeks).

Here's another: Type up an ad and stick it up on the noticeboard at your local supermarket. Simply offer to pay 40c-50c (or whatever you're prepared to pay) for any empty longies. Leave you phone number.

You can throw in the line "your kids may want some pocket money" which gets them calling. You'd probably want to say on that ad that they should call first and talk about how many they can collect for you on average per month (most people know how much they drink as it tends to be a routine). Once you've got enough projected 'supply', take the ad down. Just make sure you call them as soon as you've reached your limit.

Got about 150 that way.

Good luck.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby corks » Saturday Oct 21, 2006 4:01 pm

someones going to say it...

drink more.
corks

Postby Danzar » Saturday Oct 21, 2006 4:24 pm

corks wrote:someones going to say it...

drink more.

Ahhh, yes, but we're talking about new bottles :D
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby Iron-Haggis » Saturday Oct 21, 2006 4:33 pm

So you go out and buy and drink a case of Coopers longnecks every week. In those 4 weeks you gave your friends notice you could of had another 48 longies, plus had the pleasure of enjoying the contents that originally came in the bottle. The only flaw in your plan Danzar, just doesn't require the person to do enough drinking themselves :lol:
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Couple of ideas on getting those much needed bottles.

Postby mark68 » Saturday Oct 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Here in SA you can buy big bottles for 4 dollars per dozen from the recycle centre.I have around 250 bottles bought this way ,and they're all full. :D
mark68

Postby ShizzleAlcohizzle » Sunday Oct 22, 2006 3:16 pm

I just picked up 12 Doz longnecks ( mix of screw and crown top, mainly crown) plus 2 Doz crown lager stubbies for $40. Not bad I thought, though I am desperate for any glass bottles.
ShizzleAlcohizzle

Postby timmy » Sunday Oct 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Apparently you can get the 1L+ thick glass bottles with the Grolsh-style swingtop at the discount stores for pretty cheap (they're the ones that you get filled with water at some restaurants). Not sure if the swing-top is up to the Grolsh standard, but might be worth a shot if you can't be arsed capping....

I'll give one or two a shot on the next brew and report my findings.

Tim
timmy

Postby atropine » Monday Oct 23, 2006 9:08 am

Those clear swingtops are $2.50 from Golo/Crazy Clarks. I just didn't think it was economical compared to crown seal bottles 40c or coopers pete bottles 75c. As it's a clear bottle you could also compare it to a 1.25 l softdrink bottle which is free.
Last edited by atropine on Monday Oct 23, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
atropine

Postby timmy » Monday Oct 23, 2006 9:54 am

But you can get them free from restaurants...... :)
timmy

Postby Beerdrinker32 » Tuesday Oct 24, 2006 1:32 am

i ues stubbies, guys reckon they cant hndle the pressure but ive never had one blow up!!! do everything right and i think they are fine 8)
Beerdrinker32

Postby damonpeyo » Wednesday Oct 25, 2006 1:02 pm

I have a arrangement with my local tip-man, he gets a carton of beer for every 75-100 tallies he gets for me, and he gives me back the tallies that I gave him ;)
damonpeyo

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Oct 28, 2006 4:31 pm

damonpeyo Posted: Wednesday Oct 25, 2006 1:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a arrangement with my local tip-man, he gets a carton of beer for every 75-100 tallies he gets for me, and he gives me back the tallies that I gave him

That is brilliant.

I just buy cartons of stubbies (Coopers Pale Ale of course) - this is great justification for buying beer! "because I need the empty bottles"
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Sunday Oct 29, 2006 12:51 pm

Heh heh yeah, I can only bring myself to buy beer in longnecks these days, which somewhat curtails my choice, and MAN is commercial beer expensive when you're used to homebrew!

But it's a good way to increase one's collection of bottles, and thus is justafiable to oneself. ;)

In a related note, I bought myself a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout in a CUB longneck yesterday, and was quite disappointed. Brewed by CUB, carbonated with CO2, this barely even resembles the beautiful black stuff on tap in pubs. Their Invalid Stout is much better, which is a sorry state of affairs I reckon.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Eureka » Sunday Oct 29, 2006 7:41 pm

Great idea danzar however I live next door to the guy with the busiest licensed restaurant in town. He goes through 3-4 slabs of Crownies per week and about the same in Coronas (all crown seals). Don't mind all the washing and sterilising and it's a small price to pay to have your HB only in stubbies.

Your local restauranteurs, I'm sure, would be happy to offload their bottles to you.
Eureka

Return to Buy, swap and sell