Seeking Urn 30 litre

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Seeking Urn 30 litre

Postby Stew » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 10:25 am

Hey guys,

im in search of a stainless steel urn ~30 litre or similar, looked online - trading post, ebay but cant find one. I dont want to buy a new one either for ~ $300. looking for something for sub $80 any suggestions

Thanks for the help guys
Stuart
Stew

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 10:34 am

Stew,

Try down Victoria Street, Richmond. There are heaps of Vietnamese grocery stores and kitchen supply places that sell stainless steel pots and the like. And it's all dirt cheap.

When you say urn, do you mean one with an element?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby peterd » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 11:55 am

Set your sights a little lower, and it is easily and cheaply accomplished. I have a 19 litre SS pot with lid (assume this is what you want, rather than an urn with a heating element). Came from one of the discount outlets (Warehouse), less than $7 from memory.
Even if you want to be able to do a "full wort boil", it can be done in two pots. Besides, handling <19 litres of boiling liquid has advantages over larger quantities.
peterd

Sometimes I sits and drinks, and sometimes I just sits
(with apologies to Satchel Paige)
peterd

Postby undercover1 » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 12:18 pm

There is a stall at Vic Market that does 24l pots for $70
One thing to bear in mind, apart from peterd's point on the difficulty of managing 20+l of boiling liquid, is that if you want to add anything- sight glass, thermometer, outlet tap etc- you need to go for a fairly heavy gauge to take the fittings.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Stew » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks guys for the quick response, its not actually for beer, lets say a super highly concentrated beer...... :wink:

My other thought was to buy a pot and install an element - not sure how hard that would be though, and sealing back up the pot. Or another idea was a beer keg, considering they are 50 litres. That would be even hard of installing an element in, im not to game to use gas because of the highly combustable fumes.

Perhaps ill try oliver's idea and if its that cheap you cant really go wrong
Stew

Return to Buy, swap and sell