Help... Need plentiful PET supply

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Help... Need plentiful PET supply

Postby Crowash » Monday Sep 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Hiya,

Yep I got the Homebrewing bug and went out and purchased 2 boxes of the PET bottles at $13 a box. It's all going great except that in order to get a plentiful supply of beer for summer I'm going to need heaps of the bloody things and I hate the idea of paying that much for a 20c product. I'm perfectly happy using clear PET bottles and keeping them dark but can't get my hands on enough of them, I don't drink softdrink.. Any ideas on where to find a plentiful supply of them? (other than my neighbours bins... I get a few strange looks on Sunday night when I'm hunting through their recycling) :roll:

Cheers

Ash
Crowash

Postby Beerpig » Monday Sep 18, 2006 1:03 pm

G'day Ash

Try -

Recycling centres
Pubs & Clubs
Function Centres
Bundaberg Ginger beer 750ml

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby lethaldog » Monday Sep 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Hey ash just a tip, i use coopers P.E.T bottles and have found either Bigw or Kmart to be the cheapest, i just got another 8 boxes at Bigw for $10 per box :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Crowash » Monday Sep 18, 2006 7:36 pm

Hmm $10 a box ain't bad... I bought my lot from my HB store and didn't check the price but that and a few other things and I was out $95. Mind you I have a freekin tasty Carona bubblin away in my garage. The combination of good yeast, filtered water and decent sugar makes a massive difference.

Back on topic - Guess you gotta way up ten bucks a box against the effort of appraching recycling centre ect (I would have thought they would all be crushed by the time they got there) I guess I was wondering if you could get new clear PET bottles somewhere for bugger all. Even 10 bucks a box is a massive rip off for what you are buying.

Cheers

Ash
Crowash

Postby lethaldog » Monday Sep 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Crowash wrote:Hmm $10 a box ain't bad... I bought my lot from my HB store and didn't check the price but that and a few other things and I was out $95. Mind you I have a freekin tasty Carona bubblin away in my garage. The combination of good yeast, filtered water and decent sugar makes a massive difference.

Back on topic - Guess you gotta way up ten bucks a box against the effort of appraching recycling centre ect (I would have thought they would all be crushed by the time they got there) I guess I was wondering if you could get new clear PET bottles somewhere for bugger all. Even 10 bucks a box is a massive rip off for what you are buying.

Cheers

Ash

You have to consider the fact that coopers P.E.T are specialy made for home brew and at $10 a box im happy with that and i know i wont have any problems :lol:
lethaldog

Postby morgs » Monday Sep 18, 2006 8:57 pm

yep the coopers pet have a nylon coating on the inside to make them seal better and will keep beer for longer.
Purple monkey dishwasher!
morgs

Re: Help... Need plentiful PET supply

Postby Boonie » Monday Sep 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Crowash wrote:Hiya,

Yep I got the Homebrewing bug and went out and purchased 2 boxes of the PET bottles at $13 a box. It's all going great except that in order to get a plentiful supply of beer for summer I'm going to need heaps of the bloody things and I hate the idea of paying that much for a 20c product. I'm perfectly happy using clear PET bottles and keeping them dark but can't get my hands on enough of them, I don't drink softdrink.. Any ideas on where to find a plentiful supply of them? (other than my neighbours bins... I get a few strange looks on Sunday night when I'm hunting through their recycling) :roll:

Cheers

Ash

Click below
Post subject: Coopers PET Bottles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, can't use "Gentlemen" now can I, Chris "Now In Canberra"

Lethal and fellow Vics (Go the swans ) found these on ebay and I thought you guys would be extremely interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOMEBREW-BEER-BO ... dZViewItem

Hope these are close to you gentlemen

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Crowash » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 6:23 am

Damn wrong state.. but evidence that it's worth keeping an eye on ebay!
Crowash

Postby nt » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 8:29 am

I used to buy PET from bigw or Kmart 15% off, they are expensive right. Now I invest in $40 benchcapper and trying to 'earn' stubbies by drinking commercial beer.
nt

Postby Crowash » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 6:19 pm

I'm sure I'll change my ways but capping bottles seems like a total PITA.

BTW this Cerveza is only half brewed and already it tastes amazing...I can't wait!!!!
Crowash

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 9:07 am

Keg?

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Crowash » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 4:20 pm

Great I've been brewing for a month and already I need a keg... actually after today's temp in Sydney I'm gunna need a fridge... I think my beer's gunna be stwed :(
Crowash

Postby shazzam » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 7:41 am

Hi Crowash

A couple of ideas

the bottles released by coke for the world cup had a gold coating. I thought they looked like a good idea for brewing if you were into PET.

Also if you like ginger beer you could drink the brewers choice brand (about 79c) per 1.25 bottle - they are tinted brown bottles.

If not I think I have some kicking round here (Ingleburn) from buying my last two coopers fermenters. I'll try to find them and get back to you.

Would you just be better off buying a super automatica ? - they do seal twisties and crowns (they new ones anyone)
If it is about price - I picked mine up at a garage sale for $10 and its was already bolted to a plank of wood for me.

happy bottling - I am about to bottle 2 batches
Two ravenous Ambers, with williamette, english crystal & chocolate
shazzam

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 8:06 am

shazzam,

Two batches? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

you must have nothing to do

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby shazzam » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 8:15 am

Aw Dogger - I have four fermenters - so are two full or are two empty ?
Two ravenous Ambers, with williamette, english crystal & chocolate
shazzam

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 8:19 am

If you have two empty fermentors you are doing something wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby blandy » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 9:15 am

shazzam wrote:Aw Dogger - I have four fermenters - so are two full or are two empty ?

no, you're brewing at half capacity.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby tazman67 » Saturday Sep 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Have got 3 mabe 4 dozen to give away here in Toowoomba?
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Crowash » Sunday Sep 24, 2006 11:18 am

Hi Shazzam,

I do have a bench capper, pretty good one but don't think I'll be keeping many beers past 12 months... I love ginger beer so will get drinking, I travel out to Ingleburn regularly and would be happy to pick some up if you have some my no is 0448852762

Cheers

Ash
Crowash

Postby damonpeyo » Monday Sep 25, 2006 10:42 pm

If you dont drink softdrinks, but water, switch to start drinking Soda Water, only 69 cents per bottle of the Farmland 1.25 litre brand ;)

Never used PET I just reward my local tip man with few beers for these tallies he collects for me ;)

Now I have got over 250 tallies waiting to be topped up with my homebrews ;)

Just bottled over 180 tallies last two months.

:D :D :D :D
damonpeyo

Next

Return to Buy, swap and sell