Chasing up empty long necks

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Not sure of when they stopped using the crown seals, but I can tell you that there was an "intermediate" bottle, which was about the size of the current 750ml screw-tops, but had a crown seal.

It also had the CUB logo embossed onto the side of the bottle, as did the previous larger, heavier crown seal bottles.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tony » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 2:19 pm

This "intermediate" bottle is marked "Recycleable" - not sure if it's got the "Not be refilled" around the base like the twist-top ones.

Tony
Tony

Postby Redsicks » Friday Aug 19, 2005 2:01 pm

These stubbies only have the CUB logo, nothing about recyclable or "not to be refilled".

They're scrubbing up allright, not a bad find:)
Proost - Redsicks
Redsicks

Postby pacman » Monday May 29, 2006 10:34 pm

Am new to this site, but it is terrific! A big thankyou to Oliver and Geoff!

Am considered in many walks of life to be somewhat lazy by my peers. They usually miss the point. I look for the easiest way to attain goals. My "laziness" has often resulted in everyday tasks becoming much easier for my somewhat ungrateful peers. They often are ignorant of the origin of new and simpler procedures, and it gives me a somewhat obscene pleasure that they remain that way - ignorant, that is!

Anyway, enough of my babbling.

Recommenced homebrewing/bottling late Jan '06 after an absence of 10-15 years. Used to bottle in screwcap stubbies, reusing the screwcaps. Never a problem, but ones priorities can change with the passing of time.
Mine did. Quickly found my old procedure was a pain.

Looking for options and quickly recalled sampling a few 500ml Schwelmer (Bernstein & Pils) swingtops from Dan Murphys. Have rapidly built up a stock of these bottles, at considerable personal cost ($3.75 - $4.00 a bottle), but the quality of the contents proved to be quite reasonable.

Have just finished drinking my third homebrew (bottled 08/04/06 - Malt Shovel Pale Ale, I think), and extremely enjoyable.

Easy to cap, and made even easier by using "no rinse" sterilizer, which I also used for the rest of my brewing gear. Have two Malt Shovel 11.5 litre fermenters (don't ask!), which make for easily managed brews.

On a very steep learning curve, and have learned so much from this site. Still have some unanswered questions, and will gradually post these on appropriate strings.

This has been a very longwinded way of mentioning the advantages of swingtop bottles and "no rinse" sterilizers, and my apologies. Hope no readers became bored, and I realise that swingtops and "no rinse" sterilizers are not everyones scene.
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby ACTbrewer » Tuesday May 30, 2006 9:24 am

Just bought from the paper this morning 46 Grolsch stubbies and 24 of the big Grolsch bottles for $20. Bargain!
ACTbrewer

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jun 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Pacman,

Welcome, and thanks for your kind words.

Happy brewing,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby ADHD Curmudgeon » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 1:38 am

I work at a recycling depot if you would like me to look into getting some clean bottles that have been dropped off that I can sterilise.
I live in northern NSW though, so postage would be the killer.
Some of the ones that I use now are from there.

I've actually been using (not personally, a mate brews for me at the moment till I get my legs) used Hahn Premium Light longneck bottles which are 700ml. They're even clear so you can ensure perfect cleanliness. I also use Forsters Light Ice bottles, which are also clear with a twist top (for convienience) & are 800ml bottles.
ADHD Curmudgeon

Postby ADHD Curmudgeon » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 1:42 am

I am also new to this site, and it is the best one i've found yet.
A couple of days ago I signed up for a yank one and found them to be w**kers, but in my 2 hrs of surfing this one, it takes the cake.
ADHD Curmudgeon

Postby mr beer » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am

ADHD, I thought i should warn you to keep the clear Hahns permium lite bottles away from light when you store them, as the light can kill the yeast and the beer will not prime/condission well.

I use fosters and VB screw top tallies, scored 120 of them just from 2 college funtions, (uni melb residentual college), but only use them for special brews (Cider, largers), as i do Kegs of Draft, pale ale and Bitter.

My father used to brew with the old thick glass crowne seals, and he left them in the shed of our old farm when we mooved, as he had given up. If only he had thought ahead and looked at his 6yo boy and thought one day that child would catch the brewing bug! as those bottles would have been gret as i do ocasionally get a poor seal with the screw tops, but maby that is only because i use a hand capper!
mr beer

Postby Timmsy » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 12:26 pm

A place here in Adelaide called Plasdene (08 83402066) on Port Road you can score brand new crown top home brew bottles. 330ml are $6 for 12 and the 700ml are $12 for 12 plus GST. Thay are great and i have brought heaps of stubbies from there and might go invest in some long necks.
Timmsy

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Jun 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/120-XXXX-Beer-Bo ... dZViewItem

Pretty reasonable price if you ask me.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby gregb » Saturday Aug 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Way back, I wrote:The crown stubby is still a roll top and quite good for home brew use.

Since that time Crown has switched to a twist top. The only reason to buy crownies is gone.

Cheers,
Greg
Last edited by gregb on Sunday Aug 05, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregb

Postby Heals » Sunday Aug 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Evil twist tops....
Explore your HOPTIONS!
240+ varieties of hops, expert descriptions, substitutes, beer styles and more. hopslist.com is the largest source of hops info on the web.
Heals

Postby Liz E » Monday Aug 06, 2007 8:05 pm

An ad in the local rag this morning led me to put dibs on 10 doz thick glass rolled top longnecks at 50c each. The seller is apparently getting out of the homebrewing game. I'll ask him why when I pick up the bottles tomorrow. He's still got another 20 doz left (as of this morning) plus all his other HB gear. He's from Metford NSW if that helps. I'll email his PH # if anyone is interested.
Liz E

Re: Chasing up empty long necks

Postby Boonie » Sunday Nov 16, 2008 7:37 am

Darwin Stubby and Longnecks

I searched the threads as I know we have discussed Darwin Stubbies before.

Here's some longies and a Darwin Stubby on fleabay if anyone from S.A is interested......

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Previous

Return to Buy, swap and sell