Triple distilled yeast

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Triple distilled yeast

Postby darky82 » Wednesday Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi new to brewing spirits and homebrewandbeer.com. has anyone ever used ttriple distilled yeast from SS, i started a mash 13 days ago and still going, its says 7 days on the packet, was bubbling nice and fast but last 3-4 days have been slow, any idei how long this stuff takes... :?:
darky82

Re: Triple distilled yeast

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

How much sugar did you use, i use 9 kilos but i use the classic yeast, can take up to 2 weeks to ferment out!! Also watch yourself when stilling, i dont know if anyone else has had this problem with the yeast you are using but when i used it i couldnt stop it from boiling over at the end, i just couldnt keep it cool enough no matter how much water i used, never had this problem with any other yeast!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby darky82 » Friday Feb 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I used 7kg of dextrose, my air lock stoped bubbling through the night so i waited till about 1pm and degassed and added my turbo clear now its fermenting again, what can i do, also you are using conditioner right.
darky82

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Feb 12, 2011 10:13 am

Its probaly just letting out excess gas from adding the turbo clear, just cos the airlock is bubbling doesnt mean its fermenting, just leave it for 24-48 hours to settle and it should be fine and no i dont use anything, i used to but found that if your in no hurry and leave it to settle on its own it will do the same job but just take a week or so longer!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby darky82 » Sunday Feb 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Ok thanks, but all settled down and i put it through my still came out good but when i cut it back with carbon filltered water it when cloudy and still the next day.. :shock:
darky82

Postby lethaldog » Monday Feb 14, 2011 7:30 am

How much did you collect out of the still, sounds to me like it wasnt cool enough which when stilling will enable the impurities to get through, how quickly did it still through and what size still is it!!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby darky82 » Monday Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

I collected about 100ml of heads, not sure how much i collected but came out 84% and cut back i made around 8L, the boiler i used is a ss t500, the still i got from ebay just found out its lead soldered GREAT.. Might see if i can get a plumber to resolder. Also yes i did have surges in boiling i guess thats what you mean.. Came out a very slow trickle.
darky82

Return to Spirits