water question

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

water question

Postby dillsandwitch » Friday Aug 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Howdy all,

Our local water supply has fluoride in it. will this be bad for the end result for both making and watering down my spirits after i have distilled it?

should i be buying bottled water or using the distiller to purify water to be used in all brews. my dad uses his tank water so he doesnt have a problem but i dont have a tank at my place and i really dont wanna be carting water from his place ever other week or so that i start a new brew.

thanks in advance
dillsandwitch

Re: water question

Postby Tipsy » Friday Aug 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I have read but haven't tried that distilled water isn't very good for watering down spirit.

I read it on a distiller forum but can't (or won't even try :) ) to find the link.

I think the gist of the thread was that if the water tastes good, use it.
Tipsy

Postby Sonny » Friday Aug 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Tipsy wrote:I think the gist of the thread was that if the water tastes good, use it.

Aye, I agree with this.

Sydney water has been tops for me. When we visit the Central Coast, I have to take some Sydney water for the missus to drink, as she hates their water. I grew up there myself, but I can't drink it either.

An old mate of mine use to brew on the Central Coast, no dramas with that. But when he moved to Glen Innes, he's beers were just bad and he had to stop. Maybe it's the pH (?) but I can't comment on the taste of his water as when I visited, we just went to the pub and drank beer!
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby dillsandwitch » Saturday Aug 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for the input guys. the water here tastes fine. we do have a filter on the fridge water outlet. i may just use water from that. saves a lot of mucking around i think :D
dillsandwitch

Postby dillsandwitch » Monday Aug 20, 2012 3:06 pm

need a bit more clarification here if possible.

If i just use my normal tap water or even the filtered water to make the wash and then run it through the still is the final product still going to have the fluoride in it. also will the fluoride get "trapped" into the condenser and ruin it?

I have been having an argument for days now with my dad who insists if i even run 1 batch through the still it will ruin it completely and i will have to by another one or all my future brews will be "contaminated" by the fluoride.

from what info i have been able to find the distilling process when used just to purify water it removes fluoride anyways so shouldn't it be the same for alcohol?

can anyone clarify or enlighten me on this at all?
dillsandwitch

Postby Sonny » Monday Aug 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Huh? Dunno!
Mate, I use a fermenting vessel and make beer.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Return to Spirits