Do you care if Cooper's falls into foreign hands

Discussion of Lion Nathan's failed takeover bid for the independent Cooper's Brewery and links to articles and other discussions.

What do you think about the prospect of Cooper's Brewery falling into foreign hands?

It's a bloody disgrace and I plan on boycotting all Lion Nathan products
55%
I'd prefer it didn't happen, but that's progress
28%
It's OK as long as the beer doesn't change
15%
Couldn't care less
1%

Total votes : 85

Do you care if Cooper's falls into foreign hands

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 06, 2005 10:20 pm

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 12:11 am

be great to see Coopers stay Oz owned!!!

But, if the family vote to sell what can we do?

I hope they don't but who knows, the dollar can be mighty persuasive at times!!!

All we can hope is that they see sense and stay true to their origins!

Haven't jumped on Coopers forum for a while what's the feeling there??
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby silkworm » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 8:56 am

I'd prefer that the beer is locally brewed and owned and doesn't move to another water source or factory somewhere else.
However, on whether to boycott Lion Nathan, I find that is a bit pointless. Its just business. If the Coopers owners want to sell that's up to them. If the buy out is agressive though - thats a different matter all together.
If the beer changes like XXXX in the UK, Guinness in Australian cans or Kettle chips since the sale then I'll just stop buying.... simple.
Cheers
Silk

Postby r.magnay » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:08 pm

That....would have to be one of the most sensible posts I have read on this subject. Good onya Silk!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Guest » Monday Sep 12, 2005 8:43 am

I recall the enormous change to XXXX when they were bought out. It went from OK to rubbish. Lost all its hops bitterness and flavour and I consider it now undrinkable. When big companies take over they have no interest in the character of the beer, only boosting their botttom line. The craft goes out of the brewing and you end up with another tasteless lager/ale of all the other tasteless lagers and ales out there. I sincerely hope Coopers can fight off the bean-counter culture of Lion Nathan and serve us for another 10+ years.

Lyle

Postby bottlebomber » Monday Sep 12, 2005 9:13 am

The Coopers takeover threat is bad news. Coopers, I think most discerning brew fans would agree, is one of the most satisfying and unique beers produced in Australia. The prospect of the product seriously declining in the hands of a corporation whose priority is the bottom line is all too real. Sadly though, a boycott of LN by a few indignant Coopers fans like myself would not have a snowball's hope in hell of seriously denting their profits in opposition to the patronage of the thousands of undiscriminating guzzlers that consume their other products.
I must admit, however, that I'm not too familiar with other LN beer products. Does anyone know if they make anything notable or worthy?
bottlebomber

Postby db » Monday Sep 12, 2005 10:13 am

they own james squires
db

Postby bottlebomber » Monday Sep 12, 2005 10:30 am

I've just read through Oliver's LN list. Reluctantly, I have to admit that not all are crap products. (I'm also partial to a bottle or two of Squire's).
bottlebomber

Postby grabman » Monday Sep 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Part of the problem here is that so many companies are owned by so many others that it's hard to know who has control of what!

At this stage we can protest as much as we like, but LNN won't take any notice! We can only wait and see what happens and if they buy Coopers and if they stuff up the brew then we stop buying!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 12, 2005 8:27 pm

bottlebomber wrote:I've just read through Oliver's LN list. Reluctantly, I have to admit that not all are crap products. (I'm also partial to a bottle or two of Squire's).

The fact that they own James Squire is one of the reasons that I reckon that anyone who thinks Lion Nathan owning Cooper's will mean cheaper Cooper's beer is dreaming; Cooper's is currently cheaper by a fair bit than Squire beer.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Sep 13, 2005 2:59 am

It would be inherently wrong for it happen, I love the Family owned and operated thing.

Additionally, good Australian folk will be laid off.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby GTI86 » Wednesday Sep 14, 2005 8:07 am

One thing to think about is would lion nathan continue the homebrew side
of coppers in my opinion no they wouldnt want people making better cheaper beer then them also any monoply is a very bad thing :evil:
GTI86

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Sep 14, 2005 10:55 am

Actually, Lion Nathan is already into homebrew. They own Black Rock, and produce homebrew versions of Tooheys beers, including Old.

I wonder whether that means that Cooper's homebrew would start tasting like Tooheys New :cry:

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 14, 2005 11:58 am

Not to be a knob there Oliver,

Black Rock is pretty much Plain Jane. A buck less, but isn't worth what you save. Gave it a go myself

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Sep 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Dogger Dan wrote:Not to be a knob there Oliver,

Black Rock is pretty much Plain Jane. A buck less, but isn't worth what you save. Gave it a go myself

Dogger

Actually, over here Black Rock costs about $14-$18 from the HBS, while Coopers (and Tooheys) go for $8-$12 (for the International Series) in K Mart, Big W, Woolworths etc
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 15, 2005 3:11 am

Well,

Don't I feel rather used :shock: :lol: :wink:

Exploiting the dumb Cannuks, you guys could at least have bought dinner first, :wink:

Time to go back to all-grain

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby scblack » Tuesday Sep 20, 2005 2:24 pm

NTRabbit wrote:Actually, over here Black Rock costs about $14-$18 from the HBS, while Coopers (and Tooheys) go for $8-$12 (for the International Series) in K Mart, Big W, Woolworths etc

I'd suggest that price difference is more a result of the smaller margins, and buying power of Coles Myer and Woolworths, rather than real price/quality differences.
scblack

Postby gregb » Tuesday Sep 20, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm quite comfortable with the idea that I am paying less for a better product. But I also recomend the Brewmaster and Premium Coopers series that are only available from HBS. It is important to support the local HBS or else they will disappear.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Sep 20, 2005 7:35 pm

scblack wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:Actually, over here Black Rock costs about $14-$18 from the HBS, while Coopers (and Tooheys) go for $8-$12 (for the International Series) in K Mart, Big W, Woolworths etc

I'd suggest that price difference is more a result of the smaller margins, and buying power of Coles Myer and Woolworths, rather than real price/quality differences.

I never claimed any difference in quality, just stating the real world price differences between the two if i was to go out and buy them right now.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Sep 20, 2005 7:40 pm

gregb wrote:I'm quite comfortable with the idea that I am paying less for a better product. But I also recomend the Brewmaster and Premium Coopers series that are only available from HBS. It is important to support the local HBS or else they will disappear.

Cheers,

Greg.

Brewcraft stores here in SA dont stock any Coopers products at all - the only three stores I have seen which sell them (Brewmaster and Premium) are the Jovial Monk at Parkside, the Bake and Brew Shop at Gawler, and the Coopers General Store on East Tce.

Im going to buy the Coopers Wheat Beer in a couple of months, and the Coopers store is the most convenient of the three.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Next

Return to The battle for Cooper's