Off Topic... Oak Flavouring?? Stilling

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Off Topic... Oak Flavouring?? Stilling

Postby Stangas » Wednesday Apr 19, 2006 9:21 am

Hey guys.. hope someone may have some stilling experience..

So.. i have two types of oaking.. i have the chips from the original Jacks oak barrels, and i have a liquid oak flavour.

The question is.. how much of the oak flavouring is required.. is it like a few drops or the whole 25mL?

If i cant get an answer i will have to experiment, but that could take a few brews to get right.

Cheers in advance
MMMMMM... Beer
Stangas

Postby bundy bruiser » Saturday Apr 22, 2006 5:53 pm

I tend to go very easy on the oak flavouring, it's better to soak in oak chips and add a few drops of flavour per bottle before drinking.
I wouldn't use the whole 25ml.

Char the chips under the gorilla or in alfoil on a hotplate with a heavy fry pan on top (this way is less smokey). Leave to soak for 8 weeks shaking it a couple of times a week.

Buy a few glass demi johns and do a few extra runs to get a stock up.
cheers :lol:
I'll drink to that......
bundy bruiser

Postby Oscar » Saturday Apr 22, 2006 11:20 pm

What r u brewng with the oak?
Oscar

Re: Off Topic... Oak Flavouring?? Stilling

Postby Brewaholic » Sunday Dec 24, 2006 8:09 am

Stangas wrote:Hey guys.. hope someone may have some stilling experience..

So.. i have two types of oaking.. i have the chips from the original Jacks oak barrels, and i have a liquid oak flavour.

The question is.. how much of the oak flavouring is required.. is it like a few drops or the whole 25mL?

If i cant get an answer i will have to experiment, but that could take a few brews to get right.

Cheers in advance

Hey mate i havnt tried the liquid oak as i rekon that you cant beat the real thing but i always have half a bag of chips in the bottom of my 50 ltr kegs with my rum bourbon and scotch in them as it ages you can defenately tell the difference and the spirit gets darker i have never found that it gets too oaky but if you have it all in one big container you can easily drain it off the chips when you like the taste of it and its more consistent flavor. just make sure to rinse the chips well with water before putting in or the dust on them makes everything go cloudy.
Brewaholic

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am

The liquid oak flavour is rated at about 1-2ml per litre but as brewaholic said, you just cant beat the real thing, go with 2 bags of chips per every 7.5 litres and it is magnificent ( i dont use barrels) :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Spirits