making spirits?

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Postby OldBugman » Sunday Jan 07, 2007 8:48 pm

gregb wrote:
Lord Azrael wrote:... then again that almost good as asking why they sell bongs in tobacconists ;)
Again, the bong is being sold *cough* for the smoking of tobacco, which is legal (for now at least).

And the ice pipe?
OldBugman

Re: making spirits?

Postby cdc » Saturday Mar 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Have a 2200 watt element in a 5 litre - with a 400 mm reflux - packed with copper scrubbers,(professionally made not DIY) runs out to 92 - 94% (temp adjusted) - discard at least 80 ml from commencement of each run, collect all from between 79.1 to 79.8 degrees C up to 80.0 degrees MAXIMUM - stop run 80.0 degrees C and discard. Approx 4-600 return, but advised to lower condenser water temp may increase return.

Don't get greedy with total return, but increase your element size and run off a 15 amp circuit.

Seeya

C
cdc

Postby bailey69 » Sunday Dec 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey, yea i have a 5 litre reflux still myself, bought one, going well have done bout 5 litre and got gold medal bourbon essence wondering if thats any good and what is best to replicate beam or jacks and captain morgans rum. Love to know whats best with the whole stillin thing, thanks for ya time, cheers, Bailey
bailey69

Postby DavidP » Monday Dec 15, 2008 4:02 am

bailey69 wrote:Hey, yea i have a 5 litre reflux still myself, bought one, going well have done bout 5 litre and got gold medal bourbon essence wondering if thats any good and what is best to replicate beam or jacks and captain morgans rum. Love to know whats best with the whole stillin thing, thanks for ya time, cheers, Bailey

I havn't found the essences by themselves much good......BUT I did age some of my vodka on oak chips for a couple of months and then added a little turkey scrub, and now I have a decent fake bourbon.
DavidP

Postby Lance » Monday Mar 16, 2009 1:24 pm

You can always use an air still. No water required. Distill 4L at a time and you don't have to worry about getting the water flow right to maintain the correct temperature.
Lance

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Mar 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Lance wrote:You can always use an air still. No water required. Distill 4L at a time and you don't have to worry about getting the water flow right to maintain the correct temperature.

I've heard they aren't that flash because of the plastic and because your destilling a small amount it's hard to make good cuts..

....but I've only read this, I have no experience
Tipsy

Postby Lance » Wednesday Mar 18, 2009 7:36 am

My local home brew guy sells the StillSprits brand and they have been made especially for alcohol and the instructions says that there is no need to make cuts so long as you follow there instructions.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Lance

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Mar 18, 2009 12:15 pm

You are using air to condense the alcohol out?

I'd love to see the physics behind that.

SOunds like bollocks to me, a liquid is far better at cooling than a gas.

Dont believe me.

Stick a warm beer in the freezer. Stick another in cold water (ca. 1C).

After 15 mins take them both out.

Which one is colder?
drsmurto

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Mar 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Lance wrote:My local home brew guy sells the StillSprits brand and they have been made especially for alcohol and the instructions says that there is no need to make cuts so long as you follow there instructions.

Have a look at what these guys think

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7428
Tipsy

Postby Deigh » Wednesday Sep 28, 2011 10:55 am

I've been aking spirits for a few years using Dextrose as bought from the shops. Recently as prices went up I decided to save money by using sugar, about one third of the price. Done a couple of runs but only tried one bottle which was excellent. (rest is still maturing). I was quite surprised to read the results you got from your mail, sombody saying it was poison and others saying just dump the first 80ml. I normally dump the first 45ml but will increase it to 80 to conform with safety. I use the normal Zfilter carbon to clean it.

From the normal 7kilo of sugar (or Dextrose) I make about 7/8 litres of whisky at 40% proof ......My queston is this....If I increased the amount to 8kilo would I automatically increase my rewards by 1kilo or will I have to increase the amount of yeast as well? :lol:
Deigh

Postby spud1700 » Thursday Sep 29, 2011 6:26 am

Sounds like your using turbo yeast, you don't nedd more yeast, if you add more sugar it'll just take longer to ferment out. What is the max amount sugar it says on the packet to use? I'ld say stick to 7 kg and don't be a greedy bugger :) The more you push the yeast the more off flavours you will get............
spud1700

Postby spiritchick » Tuesday May 29, 2012 10:56 am

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum but i just thought for all you spirit makers out there i just thought i'd share with everyone that i found a new online store called www.homebrewspirits.com.au Awsome store with cheap prices for everything you need to make your own spirits. Check it out if you would like to save some $$$
spiritchick

making spirits?

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday May 29, 2012 4:12 pm

If you're going to get your AstroTurf on (ie. generate fake grass-roots support for your own venture) then be a bit more subtle so that all readers don't instantly realise your shameless self-promotion.
bullfrog

Postby Marty » Tuesday May 29, 2012 7:22 pm

To make up for the shameless self promotion I think spiritchick should offer everyone a 50% discount! All would be forgiven then?
Marty

Re:

Postby demetroy » Sunday Jun 24, 2012 2:48 am

Brewaholic wrote:hey guys the brew using plain white sugar and turbo yeast should get you between 15 and 20 percent alcohol and before distilling tastes like a sweet white wine but not so tasty! about the going blind thing it is back from the old days when using fementing fruit or vegetables for alcohol production which can produce alot of unwanted alcohols such as methanol which is the stuff that causes blindness this was also distilled in pot stills which have no temp monotoring and would come out at rond 40-50% but with the clean brewing of straight sugar and water it is a very clean wash it will not contain anything a batch of beer doesnt and distilling itself doesnt produce anything that isnt already in the wash it mearly seperates what is there. With a good reflux still any unwanted alcohols such as metanol can be discarded as it will boil off at 64.7 degrees,acetone 56.5 etc and ethyl alcohol which is the good stuff boils off at 78.3 so it is very easy to seperate. a good quality still should produce at least 90% . Still spirits stills {found in most brew shops} produce around 80% leaving 20% rubbish requiring extra filtering to get unwanted flavors out i recomend geting a decent still to start with and you will be much happier with the end result :D

um dude maybe do some proper research before giving people a load of bs for 1 this shit (turbo yeast) gives off that many off flavors its not funny if u dont carbon filter it it tastes like shit

i wouldn't use a turbo trust me just do basic sugar wash with bakers yeast and some nutrients tomato paste lemon juice citric acid dp many others that help

other wrong thing is these bad products are in your beer and wine they are bi products of fermentation you can not avoid them being made all yeast makes them

pot stills are just as fine as a reflux and if you want to make a good whisky rum brandy or any other oaked spirit you will need a pot still those essences are crap in comparison

the still you use is more a choice to what you plan to make not pot stills are no more inferior to a reflux still

ok also this rubbish about pot stills being uncertain on the cuts get out of you head as a cut is made by taste and the first 50ml to 150ml is discarded and the rest is taken in separate parts then blended by tastes of each bottle or jar

read up on turbo yest not on their bs sites saying they are the best you can use

also for better flavors 8% to 14% wash should be used with no carbon filtering needed (i dont own one and i make top quality whisky) i wont even buy most commercial stuff as i can make better than most that are in my price range

sorry but had to set the record straight
demetroy

Previous

Return to Spirits