Trough Lolly's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Sep 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Doing another one of these at the end of the week and making one change, im dropping the choc malt. I have been playing around with this one a little and i reckon that without the choc it will be as close to LCPA as you will get. :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Sep 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Put another keg of this on tap over the weekend - it's going down quite well while I watch the finals!! :D

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby yardglass » Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 9:03 am

looks like i'll have to see what all the excitement is about and give this one a go.
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 10:03 am

Just put this one into beersmith as well. I have kept amarillo and cascade separate in my brews to date but really should see what happens when they are combined.

EDIT - any chance you could post your Kilkenny clone TL? Got an irish couple joining me for xmas this year. I visited them several times in Dublin and would love to show off with a kilkenny or Guinness clone for that matter!
drsmurto

Postby rwh » Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 10:27 am

Trough Lolly wrote:My Kilkenny Klone has a single hop addition at 60min - After stuffing around with lots of malt/hop/yeast combos I find less is more!
23L Batch
Malt/Sugars:
4.3kg of Bairds Maris Otter
250g Thomas Fawcett Crystal 120L
70g Roasted Barley
200g CSR Dark Brown Sugar
Hops:
34g EKG for 1 hour (5% A/A = approx 21 IBU)
Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale or 1028 London Ale
OG 1.048 FG 1.012

1tsp of Gypsum and 1tsp of Calcium Carbonate is added to burtonise the mash water and away we go!
Cheers,
TL

I've done this one. I really don't like the dark brown sugar flavour, and would probably sub the 200g dark brown sugar for 60g of choc or something if I was going to do it again. I'd also consider substing the roast barley for say carafa special II.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 10:49 pm

rwh wrote:
Trough Lolly wrote:My Kilkenny Klone has a single hop addition at 60mins - After stuffing around with lots of malt/hop/yeast combos I find less is more!
<snip>

I've done this one. I really don't like the dark brown sugar flavour, and would probably sub the 200g dark brown sugar for 60g of choc or something if I was going to do it again. I'd also consider substing the roast barley for say carafa special II.

Spot on rwh, I've revised this recipe as the 200g of CSR dark brown sugar was not good for the brew...here's the latest variant:

Trough Lolly's Kilkenny Clone
23L Batch
OG - 1.048 FG - 1.012

Grist:
4.5kg of Bairds Maris Otter
200g Flaked Barley
60g Weyermann Carafa I
60g Thomas Fawcett Roasted Barley
1tsp of Gypsum and 1tsp of Calcium Carbonate is added to the mashtun before dough-in since my water is very soft

Hops:
14g Northern Brewer for 1 hour (7.5% A/A)
20g Goldings for 1 hour (7% A/A)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale or 1028 London Ale or S-04 if you have to!

**Plan ahead! This beer needs time to condition - if you want a fuller creamier style, then bottle or keg and leave it for at least 4-6 weeks to improve before you drink it**

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby yardglass » Wednesday Sep 12, 2007 9:01 am

Trough Lolly wrote:
rwh wrote:
Trough Lolly wrote:My Kilkenny Klone has a single hop addition at 60min. After stuffing around with lots of malt/hop/yeast combos I find less is more!
<snip>

Spot on rwh, I've revised this recipe as the 200g of CSR dark brown sugar was not good for the brew...here's the latest variant:

Trough Lolly's Kilkenny Clone
23L Batch
OG - 1.048 FG - 1.012

Grist:
4.5kg of Bairds Maris Otter
200g Flaked Barley
60g Weyermann Carafa I
60g Thomas Fawcett Roasted Barley
1tsp of Gypsum and 1tsp of Calcium Carbonate is added to the mashtun before dough-in since my water is very soft

Hops:
14g Northern Brewer for 1 hour (7.5% A/A)
20g Goldings for 1 hour (7% A/A)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale or 1028 London Ale or S-04 if you have to!

**Plan ahead! This beer needs time to condition - if you want a fuller creamier style, then bottle or keg and leave it for at least 4-6 weeks to improve before you drink it**

Cheers,
TL

TL

wouldn't Windsor or Nottingham be a better choice than the 04 ?

Cheers
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 12:34 pm

Most certainly...in fact the first time I made this brew, I used Nott Ale yeast and it was superb! The S-04 option was listed since it's such a widely available dry yeast.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Re: Trough Lolly's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:(All calcs from Promash)
Batch Size: 23L
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
IBU: 40
EBC: 15

Grist:
4 kg Pale Ale Malt
500g Weyermann Munich I
250g Weyermann Pale Wheat
50g Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
1hr infusion mash at 66C

Hops:
20 g Northern Brewer (Pellets, 7.4 AA%, 60 mins)
18 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.5 AA%, 30 mins)
10 g Cascade (Pellets, 6.3 AA%, 15 mins)
10 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.5 AA%, 15 mins)
10 g Cascade (Pellets, 6.3 AA%, 2 mins)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale fermented at 18C

Optional:
1/2 tab of Whirfloc with 15 to go in the boil

Cheers,
TL

G'day all,
I've been tweaking this recipe further, based on PM's received and several batches since:

Trough Lolly's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone
(All calcs from Promash)

Batch Size: 22L
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity:1.012
Bitterness - 38.2 IBU
Colour - 17.4 EBC

Grist:
2kg Bairds Marris Otter
1kg IMC Pale ale
1kg Bairds Munich I
300g Wheat malt
200g Crystal 140L
Mash for 1 hr at 66C - use 2.3L per kilo of grain in mashtun.

Boil for 1hr with...
Hops:
16g Chinook Pellets 12.4% A/A 60 mins
24g Amarillo Pellets 8.9% A/A 15 mins
16g Cascade Pellets 6.3% A/A at flameout/end of boil

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 American Chico (Sierra Nevada) strain at 18C - Secondary conditioning for 2 weeks is optional but recommended, then, racked & conditioned in keg at room temps for at least 3 weeks.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 1:23 pm

No ccing TL?

I find the US56 is a poor flocculator and read that 1056 is even worse. Or do you find after the extended conditioning period you give it even at room temp you get it to drop out?

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Would it be OK to use Bohemian Pilsner malt? I am not sure what IMC is.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 2:53 pm

drsmurto wrote:No ccing TL?

I find the US56 is a poor flocculator and read that 1056 is even worse. Or do you find after the extended conditioning period you give it even at room temp you get it to drop out?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Point taken, but with 300g of wheat malt, crystal clear clarity won't happen without massive filtering that would strip out flavours anyway.

Kevnlis wrote:Would it be OK to use Bohemian Pilsner malt? I am not sure what IMC is.

Any pale ale malt (indeed an extra kilo of Marris Otter) would be fine - the pilsener malt would contribute additional sweetness to the beer which, IMHO, is not in SNPA's flavour profile. IMC stands for International Malting Company, a Milwaukee company that has a malting plant in Melbourne (03) 5227 1950 (no affiliation yada, yada).

I managed to get a sack of their pale ale malt and discovered that it's an excellent ale malt for APA's - the problem is trying to get more of it...If you see any for sale, snap it up - it's one of the very best Australian pale malts going around, IMHO.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Well beinmg from Wisconsin myself I am not biased, but we do make some damn good beers! Not commercial beers of course.

I found some Powell Ale malt I had left over I will use that instead. Just trying to find recipes to use up what I have in stock so the wife will let me order more :P

Will let you know how I go with it.

I am going to use a CPA trub for it because I need to do this brew Sunday and have no way of getting 1056 before then. Will not be authentic, but still nice I hope!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 3:35 pm

CPA trub will be fine....happy brewing!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:
drsmurto wrote:No ccing TL?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Point taken, but with 300g of wheat malt, crystal clear clarity won't happen without massive filtering that would strip out flavours anyway.

Cheers,
TL

Wasnt having a go at you TL, just new to the AG game so trying to pick the brains of those with more experience than me!

Will make sure i take the cloudiness of wheat malt additions into account. I am about to rack my first AG and had intended, after dry hopping, on ccing it for 1-2 weeks to drop out the US56. Not too fussed about getting crystal clear beers, taste, aroma are far more important for me!

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 3:57 pm

...not a problem at all...No offence taken (or intended)! :D

To be honest, I used to moan and groan about my cloudy APA's all the time until a club member (who incidentally is the current National Champion brewer) reminded me of my wheat addition.... :oops: :lol:

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby warra48 » Thursday Sep 13, 2007 4:38 pm

I bottled my first batch of this yesterday. It was brewed almost exactly as in TL's recipe, but I used Chinook, instead of NB, for the bittering (just because I had it on hand, and yes, I adjusted the quantity to allow for the different AA %), and fermented with a WLP001 culture.
The hydrometer sample I tasted was very promising. Seemed well balanced, right amount of bitterness, and very clean tasting. I'm really looking forward to tasting this in 2 or 3 weeks.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Sep 14, 2007 11:53 am

One last question TL. I do not have Munich I, but I do have Dark Munich (weyermann from Ross) and Powells Munich (from Grain and Grape). Which would be best?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby lethaldog » Friday Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm

The powells would probably be lighter but the weyerman would be a better quality so if colour is no concern then go with the latter :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

lethaldog wrote:The powells would probably be lighter but the weyerman would be a better quality so if colour is no concern then go with the latter :wink:

Those were my thoughts as well, but I am trying to get fairly close flavour wise. Though the CPA is obviously wrong anyway so I will just use the Weyermann anyway ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes